Job Title: Local Researcher
Reports To: Programs Director
Type: Field-based Consultancy, Fixed Price
Start Date: March 1, 2022
End Date: March 31, 2022
Estimated Level of Effort: 10 days
The Fund for Peace (FFP) is seeking a short-term, India-based consultant for the role of field researcher for a one-month contract in support of the RIDER project.
FFP is known globally as a pioneer in developing tools to measure state fragility. Our flagship program, the annual Fragile States Index (FSI) is based on our proprietary Conflict Assessment System Tool (CAST) analytical platform. It uses a complex methodology that triangulates content analysis, quantitative data, and qualitative review to assess 178 nations across 12 key indicators to provide a holistic and evidence-based understanding of the diverse pressures facing each country. FSI data is used widely in conflict risk and vulnerability assessments by governments, corporations, foundations, academic and multilateral institutions, such as the World Bank, the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), and the African Development Bank.
The Resilience Index for Defining Effective Response (RIDER) will fill three major gaps in the field to complement existing tools such as the Fragile States Index and others which measure risk and/or institutional capacity. No current tool exists that that directly and explicitly focuses on capacity and resilience for the purposes of preparedness, planning, mitigation, and response across all the dimensions of human security. Second, there is no existing tool that addresses the interplay between local and national risk and resilience. And third, there is no existing tool that quantifies the three fundamental enablers of resilience: Absorptive Capacity (the ability to bounce back from shocks), Adaptive Capacity (the ability to adjust to rising pressure, and Transformative Capacity (the ability to make structural reforms, when faced with fundamental changes in the environment). To the extent that existing indices measure capacity, they measure institutional capacity; they do not quantitatively measure resilient systems. RIDER will fill these critical gaps and serve as a tool to frame and inform dialogue among development actors and agencies worldwide. This tool will be showcased through the development of case study reports that will feature a country’s resiliencies as calculated by RIDER, as well as field and desk research.
Scope of Work & Expected Outputs:
- Support for RIDER case study research through the identification of 15-20 interviewees for Key Informant Interviews (KIIs) with development, humanitarian, academic, government, community leaders, and civil society representatives.
- Using a predesigned interview instrument, conduct KIIs with identified interviewees in India and record interview notes (English).
- Produce a 2-5 page consultancy report (English).
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in conflict resolution, international development or a related field.
- At least three years’ of international development experience in conflict early warning, conflict resolution, democracy and governance, and/or a related field.
- Proven track record of conducting and facilitating key informant interviews and focus group discussions
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel programmes
- Fluency in speaking, reading, and writing in English, as well as fluency or familiarity with main local languages in India.
- Strong networks among development practitioners, government, academic, civil society, and community leadership.
- This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
- This position does not authorize/require the consultant to directly communicate with FFP clients.
- This position does not authorize/require the consultant to have decision-making authority on final work product.
Travel: No international travel is anticipated.
Compensation: USD $1,500.00, upon finalization and delivery of work products.
Application Instructions: Interested candidates should send their CV and a cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “RIDER Candidate for India Local Researcher”.
Closing Date: 18 February 2022 @ 23.59pm EST